Two Wheel Revolution
By Travis Hoewischer
A quick guide to basic Columbus cycling law:
- Bicycle riders are required to comply with all operational rules and traffic control devices applicable to vehicular traffic.
- Bicycle riders must not ride on the sidewalk, except for children's non-motorized vehicles and at locations designated as bikeways or shared-use paths.
- Bicycle riders must yield the right of way to a pedestrian upon a sidewalk or shared-use path or a crosswalk.
- Bicycle riders are NOT required to ride on the right side of the roadway when it is unreasonable or unsafe to do so.
- Bicycle riders are NOT required to use a marked bike lane.
- Adult bicycle riders are NOT required to wear a helmet.
- Bicycle riders must yield the right-of-way at bike crossings, controlled by a stop or yield sign, or a traffic signal, to all vehicles on the road or street unless otherwise directed by a police officer.