Columbus Bum Shuffle 2007 Ride Report

View Larger Map

I didn't know what to expect when I showed up to the Seagull Bags store. I conveniently parked across the street and the entire sidewalk in front of the store was filled with bikes and people milling around. Of course, I look like an outcast with full spandex compared to the jeans/jacket/courier bag look. But, I look like an outcast at every urban ride so I am used to it. I registered in the store and I was number 47. I got my map/manifest and spoke card.

The basic premise of the Columbus Bum Shuffle is to ride to various points in the city where bums are known to hang. Your manifest is stamped at these checkpoints and you can get bonus points for the "crack" run cards. These cards given at the stops and at certain checkpoints they can be stamped for bonus points. Other bonus points could be gained by finishing in less than two hours (conversely points lost after two hours) and picking up aluminum cans.

The start was in an empty parking lot a few blocks from the start. We put our bikes up against the fence and we were supposed to lock em' up. I didn't need to carry my lock since the start/end was at the Seagull Bags store so I just leaned it against the fence. I noticed a few people from the night rides and decided to ride with them. I need to ride my own pace so I didn't know if I could keep up with them.

We all ran to our bikes and and it was a mad scramble out of the parking lot. We decided to ride the route in clockwise route. First stop was Franklin Park on East Broad. As we headed down the side streets one of the guys I was riding with almost went over his handlebars at a stop sign when a car came through the intersection. When we got to the park I was following him along the path when he yelled out to stop as he fell down the amphitheater steps. He said he hurt his wrist, but we continued on. We got our stamp, but none of the other people in our group were around.

We headed southwest. The next stop was at Shiller Park. As we were heading along Whittier we caught up to other people in our group. They had stopped at a gas station. One of the riders was hit from behind by a car, but he was OK. His bike was another story. His rear wheel looked like a taco. So everybody I was riding with decided to call it a day, due to injuries/bike problems. I pressed on toward the next checkpoint, Shiller Park.

After the checkpoint I headed over to High Street and headed north. I continued north until I passed the capitol building and headed west to the waterfront. When I got to the Battelle Wterfront Park a few other riders showed up. I recognized Levi from rides and we continued on to the other checkpoints.

We made our way over to the North Front Street. We continued north until it became Park and passed Goodale, which was the next checkpoint. The checkpoint person told me I was missing a "crack" card, but I knew I would get one at one of the final checkpoints. We then headed up Neil to 5th down to the river. Onto the path and the next checkpoint. We decided to contnue onto the path since we needed to go to Arcadia and High. Unfortunately we overshot the turnoff and were several blocks north of where we needed to be.

I received the third "crack" card at Arcadia, but needed to go to Goodale for the stamp. Eli lost one of his cards and was indifferent as to whether we should head back as long as we had time. We rode over to Summit and headed down to Iuka Park. We rode all around the park until I realized the checkpoint was under the bridge. We decided to head down to Goodale, but as soon as we got back on the bikes Eli realized his tire was flat. So he bailed since he was near his house.

I continued down Iuka to High. I made my detour to Goodale for the last "crack" card stamp. Back over to High and then turned east on Broad over to Parsons back to the store. I was in 10 minutes before 5. Total mileage was about 22 miles.

So according to my calc, I received the base points (which I think were 100), and got the three "crack run" cards for an additional 95, plus 10 for the early bonus points for 205. The prizes were being given away at the after party at 9PM on Saturday night, but I was not going to be around for it. I don't think I was in the running for prizes anyway. There were riders who rode pretty quick.

I think the "race" was well planned. I had a great time and got some exercise. I think they are planning a spring 08 race so I will post it as soon as I get the info.