A review of high-intensity rear lights for improved safety, day or night
1. The Top 11 lights tested (in OVERALL combined viewpoint- Brightest order)
- DINOTTE 300L $200 USD This light is very bright (though not the brightest) from all possible viewing angles. It also has the longest battery life, USB rechargeable, and nicest flashing pattern. It suffers in cost and weight.
- SERFAS TL-60 $60USD WOW doesn’t seem to do justice to this little dynamo. Placing first in brightness both on the meters and visually, USB rechargeable, decent runtime, weight and EZ mounting options for frame and helmet. This guy was the surprise entry. Suffers only in viewing angle. Ride with two or three and you’re set.
- NIGHTRIDER Solas USB http://www.niterider.com/ This is a Great Light. A Very Bright, and Very Well built light. This was the third brightest light. The light angle spread is wider than most of the others, including the TL-60 above it. The design works well on both helmet and frame. I used electricians tape to cap off the end when using it on my helmet. Can’t go wrong here.
- PLANET BIKE Turbo Super Flash $30USD I’ve bought at least half of dozen of these over the years… They’re reliable, bright, good flashing patter, affordable, run forever, and EZ to mount. Close on the Price/Performance curve, but not in the same brightness category as the two above it.
- CATEYE Rapid 5 This all-time favorite is historically one of the best lights ever manufactured and set the standard for many years, and can still holds its own.
- NIGHTRIDER Cherry Bomb Another strong entry from NightRider, not in the same briteness category as the others above, but a good light nonetheless. A very nice light, extremely well built, you can feel the quality of everything about this light.
- BONTRAGER Flare Nothing wrong with this guy, good briteness, just not in the same category as the first few… Good mount and EZ to use.
- PLANET BIKE Super Flash My defacto standard for many years and still a very reliable, long running worker… Briteness has been passed in the last year by it’s Turbo sibling and the others above.
- SERFAS Thunderbolt Yellow; SERFAS Thunderbolt Red These two lights have taken the world by storm. Instead of a string of singular, tightly focused LED bulbs, the Thunderbolts utilizes an entirely different technology emphasizing a new Wide Beam approach. Although not as intrinsically bright as the top entries, the Wide Beam pattern really gets your attention as you get closer… and it’s the only light tested that is meant to be attached to the seat stays and forks… This light is a revolution. It suffers only in runtime, about 2 hours, which is more than enough for most commuters, but not in the running for road cyclist needs.
- CATEYE Rapid 3 A decent light in a pinch and fine at night. But nowhere in the same category as the above top Escalon. It just barely made the minimum criteria.
2. Best Price/Performance Light
- SERFAS TL-60 https://www.serfas.com/
- CATEYE Rapid 5 http://www.cateye.com/en/
- PLANET BIKE Turbo Super Flash http://ecom1.planetbike.com/tailights.html
3. Brightest Single Angle tested Light
- SERFAS TL-60
- DINOTTE 300L http://www.dinottelighting.com/
4. Most Innovative light (and likely to be copied by competitors)
- THUNDERBOLT Pair of RED/YELLOW
5. Best Commuter Light Conclusion:
- THUNDERBOLT RED/YELLOW COMBINED
- CATEYE Rapid 5
- ALL the ABOVE
While any of these lights will greatly increase the odds of avoiding mishaps on the road and help to SAVE YOUR Life, there is a definite pecking order… Buy the best that your wallet can afford. Increasing Brightness means early warning distance, and distance means time to avoid you.
I highly recommend riding with multiple flashing lights. You will not be missed. One on your helmet, one on your seat post pointed level, slightly to the left towards traffic (to the right in UK), and at least one on your back seat stay. If you wear a backpack, at least one if not two more.
|List Review Spreadsheet|
|RATING 1-5||$ USD|
|PLANET BIKE||SUPER FLASH TURBO|
|NIGHT RIDER||CHERRY BOMB 1 W|
Post a Comment